|First appearance||S0E01: Past Transgressions|
|Last appearance||S0E02: Missio|
|Profession|| Gladiator (House of Batiatus)|
Doctore (House of Batiatus)
|Relationships|| Oenomaus (Student/Friend, deceased)|
Gannicus (Student, deceased)
Barca (Student, deceased)
Auctus (Student, deceased)
Titus Lentulus Batiatus (Former Dominus, deceased)
Quintus Lentulus Batiatus (Dominus, deceased)
|Status||Deceased (Killed by Oenomaus)|
His skin is light brown and he is stocky but appears to be in good physical shape. He bears a large scar across his face, most likely from a past arena battle during his time as a gladiator. He is rarely seen without his whip or his sword in its sheath.
Gods of the ArenaEdit
Ulpius appears to have held the position of Doctore for quite some time in Batiatus's Ludus before his appearance in Spartacus: Gods of the Arena; he is mentioned by Batiatus himself to be his "father's man," and that he clings to outdated ideals. When Ashur succeeds in threatening Vettius, Batiatus grants Ashur the mark of the brotherhood for his services. Ulpius believes that Ashur and Dagan did not earn the mark as true gladiators should, which is by proving their combat skills against a seasoned gladiator from the ludus, and confronts Batiatus with his thoughts. This causes Batiatus to abruptly strip him of his rank as Doctore.Batiatus passes the title of Doctore on to Oenomaus. Ulpius feels disrespected and, in a rage, he attacks Oenomaus in front of the other recruits and gladiators. Oenomaus holds back in the beginning but soon counters his old mentor's ferocity with his own as Ulpius draws blood. Oenomaus deals a mortal blow when he stabs his blade into Ulpius' stomach.
Ulpius dies with a broad grin upon his face, his last words used to exclaim that he has taught Oenomaus well, which implies that his attack was not born entirely of rage but of a desire to test Oenomaus's worthiness as his replacement as Doctore.
- Temuera Morrison, the actor who played Ulpius, is 170cm (5' 7") tall.
- Temuera Morrison has a background in martial arts such as boxing, Mau Rakau and Kung Fu.
- His real name is not given in the broadcast versions of any episode, but is revealed to be Ulpius in the Blu-ray release of Gods of the Arena in the episode Paterfamilias.
- Ulpius is highly respected by his recruits for being a tough trainer in the ludus.
- The Doctore armor that Oenamaus is the same as that worn by Ulpius, with a patch to repair the hole where Oenamaus stabbed Ulpius.
- In Spartacus: The Game, it is revealed Ulpius once held the position of Champion in the House of Batiatus.
- The name Ulpius is often associated with the Roman Gens Ulpia. Though, as an Egyptian, Ulpius may just be a slave-name bestowed on him by his Roman masters.
"Hubris: A fine quality, often possessed by cunts who perish from it."
—Ulpius to Gannicus
"WELCOME TO THE FUCKING BROTHERHOOD!!!!!!!" ― Ulpius to Dagan, angry the Syrians are recieving the mark without taking the test
"I will not see more shit heaped upon sacred rights! You may bear the mark, but don't ever think yourself a gladiator, you little cunt!"
—Ulpius to Ashur
"Oh close fucking mouth, I seek not to have wasted long years of pulling your head from your ass."
Ulpius: "Your father would never allow this..."
Batiatus: "I AM NOT MY FUCKING FATHER!!!"
Ulpius: "FACT WELL KNOWN!!!"
"Do not fucking speak to me in such tone! You believe yourself my equal, Oenomaus?! ― Ulpius after Oenomaus prevented his assault on Ashur
"GLADIUS!!!" "Bring fucking swords!" "Now let us see if you have learned all that I have to teach..." ― Ulpius challenging Oenomaus to a duel
"Is that what I taught you, Oenomaus?! How to turn upon heel!? Fight me, you coward!" ― Ulpius to Oenomaus, who is avoiding his attack
"Prove yourself worthy, Oenomaus!" ― Ulpius' way of telling Oenomaus that he must kill him to take his mantle
"I have taught you well..." ― Ulpius after being defeated by Oenomaus, his last words
- ↑ Spartacus: Gods of the Arena Prequel; Episode 3