Spartacus: Gods of the Arena is the second installment in the Spartacus series, and the six episode prequel to Blood and Sand. It premiered on January 21, 2011 on Starz. As season two had to be delayed due to Andy Whitfield's treatment for non-Hodgkin lymphoma, a prequel to the series was planned to fill in the time until September, when season two was scheduled to begin filming.It concluded on February 25, 2011.
The story centers around Batiatus and Lucretia and the rise of the House of Batiatus 5 years prior to Spartacus' arrival, seeing returns from many of the gladiators as well, including Doctore, Crixus and Barca amongst others. The show introduces the gladiator Gannicus, and his rise to fame under Batiatus' hand.
The House of Batiatus is on the rise, basking in the flow of its infamous champion Gannicus, whose skill with the sword is matched only by his thirst for wine and women. These are the times a young Batiatus has been waiting for. Poised to overthrow his father and take control, he'll freely betray anyone to ensure that his gladiators are in the highest demand. And by his side is his loyal and calculating wife Lucretia for every underhanded scheme, drawing on the brazen talents of her seductive friend Gaia when it counts. Together they will stop at nothing to deceive the masses, seize power and bleed Capua dry in this audacious prequel to Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena © 2010 Starz Entertainment, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Cast and Characters
- John Hannah as Quintus Lentulus Batiatus - a Roman Lanista who is trying to make his mark on the world through the gladiatorial games.
- Lucy Lawless as Lucretia – Domina of the house and Quintus' wife. She has an undying love for her husband and will do anything to see him succeed.
- Jaime Murray as Gaia – a Roman social climber and Lucretia's childhood friend.
- Peter Mensah as Oenomaus/Doctore – a Numidian gladiator who later becomes the House of Batiatus' Doctore (gladiator trainer).
- Dustin Clare as Gannicus – a Celtic gladiator of the House of Batiatus and rising star in the world of gladiators.
- Marisa Ramirez as Melitta – Lucretia's personal slave and the wife of Oenomaus.
- Manu Bennett as Crixus – a Gaul trainee gladiator with the burning desire to become the greatest champion in the world of gladiators.
- Nick Tarabay as Ashur – a Syrian trainee gladiator who hopes to rise as a famous gladiator.
- 1. Past Transgressions
- 2. Missio
- 3. Paterfamilias
- 4. Beneath The Mask
- 5. Reckoning
- 6. The Bitter End
IGN gave the series positive reviews, especially the finale, giving it a 9.5/10 and calling it "Incredible".
Clips and Interview
- New York Mag: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/04/spartacus_prequel_starz_blood.html
- Worldscreen: Starz Preps Spartacus Prequel: http://www.worldscreen.com/articles/display/25523